Just days from the start of a brand new year, Island Cove Beads & Gallery is excited to showcase the new spring color collection inspired by Pantone’s 2017 spring-summer palette. Colleen and Sue have interpreted the 10 trending shades and combined them into pretty pairings for your jewelry-designing inspiration.
Island Paradise & Lapis Blue
- Add pieces of aqua or sea green beach glass – Island Cove offers them in smaller beads or larger pendant styles
- Fresh from the Tucson Gem Show, shop our selection of genuine blue turquoise beads
- True blue lapis is deeper hue and nice accent to the brighter colors in the spring-summer palette
Pink Yarrow & Kale
- Fancy jasper beads come in mixed strands of olive green, grey, and pink
- Dagger beads with rose gold polka-dots add a modern twist
- Select an enameled leaf charm or lamp work glass flower bead in shades of pink and green
Greenery & Pale Dogwood
- Featured in this pairing are soft pink pearls and shimmery rose-hued Czech glass beads
- Pick a dramatic center stone, like this one in Rainforest Jasper
- Nuggets of green peridot add the perfect dash of fresh spring color
Primrose Yellow & Flame
- Shop the collection of natural shell beads and corals in these hot hues
- Spiny oyster shell chips are available in bright orange and reds, giving warmth to your designs
- Island Cove carries yellow mother of pearl beads too, plus yellow jade beads
Hazelnut & Niagara
- The denim blue shades of kyanite are the perfect interpretation of Niagara in the gemstone world
- Hazelnut is the 2017 Pantone palette’s neutral shade, and can pair with most anything
- Add a seashell bead or two in your next design for earthy color and boho-chic style
In comparison to 2016’s top colors (pastels Serenity and Rose Quartz), the 2017 spring-summer shades are more vibrant and full of energy. Island Cove associate Marti Timmons is inspired by the new 2017 colors, saying:
Primrose Yellow, Flame, and Pink Yarrow are all colors of tropical hibiscus flowers.
Island Cove Co-owner and Instructor Sue Lennon was pleased with the new palette’s versatility, remarking:
The colors work really well together, allowing you to make even more color combinations than in years past.
The Pantone Color Institute has just announced its color of the year: Greenery! It’s a fresh vibrant green with yellow undertones – perfect for spring.
Satisfying our growing desire to rejuvenate, revitalize and unite, Greenery symbolizes the reconnection we seek with nature, one another and a larger purpose. –Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute
National Jeweler has put together a forecast all its own linking this lush green hue to jeweltry trends for the new year. While many green gemstones entice fashionistas – from emeralds, jade, tourmaline, malachite, and tsavorite – National Jeweler’s pick for the gemstone that best embodies “greenery” is peridot, the August birthstone.
Peridot is the ideal representation of Greenery, and the perfect stone for 2017. Peridot is worn to calm anger and alleviate emotional burden; it will also increase the wearer’s health, wealth, happiness and love. –Shahla Karimi, designer
According to French Vogue, the hottest jewelry trends from New York, London, Milan, and Paris Spring 2017 fashion weeks include:
- Raw crystals & stones
- Safety pins & talismans
- Statement necklaces, oversized chokers & layered necklaces
- Asymmetric earrings
- Strings of pearls
Oversized chokers from the Spring 2017 runways
Stay tuned for the full Spring 2017 color forecast interpreted by Island Cove – coming soon. We’ll be sharing all the on-trend colors and examples of how you can integrate these shades into your own designs in the coming months. There are endless possibilities for designing with green crystals, gemstones, cords, and charms. We can’t wait to get started!
With the holiday season fast approaching, it is a great time to treat yourself to a creative escape. Instead of buying the typical, mass-produced holiday gifts, shop local and buy something handmade at Island Cove from one of our many artisans. Better yet, take a class with a friend and share the experience of creating one-of-a-kind pieces together in a collaborative, low-stress environment.
Sign up to learn a new technique or refine your skills with one of these trending classes:
- Wire: We’re offering a Memory Wire workshop all day on Nov 26th and a Renaissance Wire Bangle Bracelet class on Dec 1st
- Resin Pendants: Create a Seascape-themed resin pendant on Dec 9th or instead try the more freeform Hearts a Flutter pendant on Dec 21st and Jan 25th
- Leather: Learn how to create a Boho Beach Wrap Bracelet with leather cord and the Knotty Do It All board on Dec 3rd or Jan 7th, or drop by the Leather Make & Take Trunk Show on Dec 14th or Jan 11th
To view a list of classes scheduled this holiday season, check out these links:
Another way to incorporate socializing with your beading and crafting is to join one of our bi-monthly “bead huddles.” They happen every other Wednesday and are an after-dinner open forum to collaborate and create. Ladies of all ages and experience levels gather around the table to work on jewelry and craft projects together. It’s the perfect time to swap stories, showcase your latest work, or share new techniques and patterns.
Upcoming Bead Huddle nights (6:30pm-9:00pm):
- December 7
- December 21
- January 4th
- January 18th
This October, Island Cove Beads & Gallery challenges you to take a creative escape. Forget about the upcoming holiday season and enjoy the here and now. Take time this month to foster your inner designer and boost your creative skills. We invite you to explore the five new Castaway Bead Mixes and to get lost in the possibilities.
The 5 Castaway Bead Mix bottles
Creative Castaways – what will you create with your bottle?
If you’re trapped on a desert island…what’s the one thing you’ll pack with you? Your jewelry-making gear of course! Pop the cork on one of our Castaway Bead Mix bottles and start designing a new pair of earrings, making a bracelet or necklace, or start bead-embroidering a special project. There are enough goodies in each little bottle to make a few items. Each glass bottle includes: 30g of seed beads, glass pearls, 3 matching charms, genuine seashell beads, and Czech fire polished beads in various shapes and sizes. All you need to add is your stringing material and a clasp!
Each of the five Castaway Bead Mixes were inspired by one of Colleen or Sue’s favorite beach locales:
- Key West – this mix brings to life the colors of key lime pie. Beads in yummy shades of lime green, teal, cream, and gold are paired with cute conch shell charms.
- Bermuda – its famous pink sand inspired this blend of soft blush and magenta pink beads. Petite starfish charms are the finishing touch.
- Aloha – tropical Hawaiian flowers and golden seahorse charms make this bead mix unique. The colors in this blend include yellows, purples, and coral reds.
- Island Cove – Fresh from Indian Rocks Beach, this special mix includes shades of aqua blue and pink. Paired with silver tone mermaid charms, it’s as if our logo has come to life!
- Deep Blue Sea – beautiful and mysterious lagoon blues with bright whites reminiscent of ocean surf. Anchor charms give this collection a nautical feel.
The Castaway Launch Party
Join the Island Cove crew for a Castaway Launch Party on Saturday, October 22nd from 6-9pm. Come dressed in island-themed couture and enjoy our selection of tropical drinks and snacks.
Shop the Castaway Bead Mix collection and the refreshed assortment of sea glass beads and genuine seashell beads too – available in whole and half-strands.