With the holiday season fast approaching, it is a great time to treat yourself to a creative escape. Instead of buying the typical, mass-produced holiday gifts, shop local and buy something handmade at Island Cove from one of our many artisans. Better yet, take a class with a friend and share the experience of creating one-of-a-kind pieces together in a collaborative, low-stress environment.
Sign up to learn a new technique or refine your skills with one of these trending classes:
- Wire: We’re offering a Memory Wire workshop all day on Nov 26th and a Renaissance Wire Bangle Bracelet class on Dec 1st
- Resin Pendants: Create a Seascape-themed resin pendant on Dec 9th or instead try the more freeform Hearts a Flutter pendant on Dec 21st and Jan 25th
- Leather: Learn how to create a Boho Beach Wrap Bracelet with leather cord and the Knotty Do It All board on Dec 3rd or Jan 7th, or drop by the Leather Make & Take Trunk Show on Dec 14th or Jan 11th
To view a list of classes scheduled this holiday season, check out these links:
Another way to incorporate socializing with your beading and crafting is to join one of our bi-monthly “bead huddles.” They happen every other Wednesday and are an after-dinner open forum to collaborate and create. Ladies of all ages and experience levels gather around the table to work on jewelry and craft projects together. It’s the perfect time to swap stories, showcase your latest work, or share new techniques and patterns.
Upcoming Bead Huddle nights (6:30pm-9:00pm):
- December 7
- December 21
- January 4th
- January 18th
This October, Island Cove Beads & Gallery challenges you to take a creative escape. Forget about the upcoming holiday season and enjoy the here and now. Take time this month to foster your inner designer and boost your creative skills. We invite you to explore the five new Castaway Bead Mixes and to get lost in the possibilities.
The 5 Castaway Bead Mix bottles
Creative Castaways – what will you create with your bottle?
If you’re trapped on a desert island…what’s the one thing you’ll pack with you? Your jewelry-making gear of course! Pop the cork on one of our Castaway Bead Mix bottles and start designing a new pair of earrings, making a bracelet or necklace, or start bead-embroidering a special project. There are enough goodies in each little bottle to make a few items. Each glass bottle includes: 30g of seed beads, glass pearls, 3 matching charms, genuine seashell beads, and Czech fire polished beads in various shapes and sizes. All you need to add is your stringing material and a clasp!
Each of the five Castaway Bead Mixes were inspired by one of Colleen or Sue’s favorite beach locales:
- Key West – this mix brings to life the colors of key lime pie. Beads in yummy shades of lime green, teal, cream, and gold are paired with cute conch shell charms.
- Bermuda – its famous pink sand inspired this blend of soft blush and magenta pink beads. Petite starfish charms are the finishing touch.
- Aloha – tropical Hawaiian flowers and golden seahorse charms make this bead mix unique. The colors in this blend include yellows, purples, and coral reds.
- Island Cove – Fresh from Indian Rocks Beach, this special mix includes shades of aqua blue and pink. Paired with silver tone mermaid charms, it’s as if our logo has come to life!
- Deep Blue Sea – beautiful and mysterious lagoon blues with bright whites reminiscent of ocean surf. Anchor charms give this collection a nautical feel.
The Castaway Launch Party
Join the Island Cove crew for a Castaway Launch Party on Saturday, October 22nd from 6-9pm. Come dressed in island-themed couture and enjoy our selection of tropical drinks and snacks.
Shop the Castaway Bead Mix collection and the refreshed assortment of sea glass beads and genuine seashell beads too – available in whole and half-strands.
Labor Day marks the symbolic end to summer season across the nation – even if warm temperatures stay put in Florida throughout the fall months. But September ushers in a slew of new fall fashion finds and a fresh color palette from Pantone’s trend forecasters. Colleen and Sue have stocked the shelves with on-trend beads in fresh colors and your perennial favorites too.
Pantone’s Fall 2016 Palette
- Riverside and Airy Blue are the blue hues chosen for this autumn – each with subtle tones that remind us of the ocean
- Shark Skin and Warm Taupe are two soft neutrals that will blend well with winter whites, metallics, and sandy tones
- A bevy of warm blush and rust tones round out the palette with Dusty Cedar, Aurora Red, and Potter’s Clay
- Vibrant tones of Bodacious pink, Spicy Mustard yellow, and Lush Meadow green deliver that pop of bright color you crave
Check out the color pairings that we hope will inspire you to get your bead on this fall!
The desire for tranquility, strength, and optimism have inspired a Fall 2016 color palette that is led by the Blue family.
Along with anchoring earth tones, exuberant pops of vibrant colors also appear throughout the collections. Transcending gender, these unexpectedly vivacious colors in our Fall 2016 palette act as playful but structured departures from your more typical fall shades.
Blue skies represent constancy as they are always above us. Grays give a feeling of stability, Red tones invite confidence and warmth, while the hot Pinkish Purples and Spicy Mustard Yellows suggest a touch of the exotic.
Leatrice EisemanExecutive Director of the Pantone Color Institute™
The Symbolism of Butterflies
Butterflies are a beloved symbol of life and resurrection. Emerging from their chrysalis after a deep transformative sleep, the caterpillar’s metamorphosis into an elegant butterfly is one of nature’s mysteries. Butterflies are also inherently feminine – they flitter and float from flower to flower spreading pollen and joy. They’ve long been a favorite of fashion and jewelry designers, making their way onto printed fabrics, art, and sculpture.
Many cultures associate the butterfly with our souls. The Christian religion sees the butterfly as a symbol of resurrection. Around the world, people view the butterfly as representing endurance, change, hope, and life.
— Regina Cutter Edwards, Gardens with Wings
Learn the “Flutterby Flat Spiral Bracelet”
- Take the Flutterby Flat Spiral bracelet class with Sue this August 30th. Learn more here.
- You’ll learn the simple flat spiral stitch – it’s a great stitch for beginning beaders.
- When you make your very own Flutterby bracelet at Island Cove, you can hand-select the seed beads and Swarovski crystals for your piece. What color butterfly speaks to you?
- The butterfly “wings” are brought to life via the mini dagger beads in this design.
Shop for Butterfly Beads & Charms
- Island Cove carries a variety of butterfly-themed pieces to add into your designs – metal, stone, pressed glass, and fire-torched enamels
- Stop by the bead shop and browse our collection of butterfly beads, charms, and pendants. From petite to big and bold, we’re sure to have the perfect butterfly for your next creation.
Beach Butterflies – Collect Local Coquina Shells
When you think of butterflies, you may imagine them in a country garden or flower lined terrace. But on the beach? Indian Rocks Beach has its own sort of butterfly at the shoreline – butterfly-shaped coquina shells.
Coquina butterfly seashells